January 03, 2013
Congress Extends Alternative Fuel and Infrastructure Tax Credits
Congress passed the American Taxpayer Relief Act on Jan. 1, 2013, which provided one-year extensions for several tax credits affecting alternative fuels, including those for compressed natural gas (CNG), liquefied natural gas (LNG) and propane autogas.
Specifically, this includes the 50-cent per greenhouse gas emission (GGE) alternative-fuel tax credit for CNG, LNG and propane, and the $30,000 infrastructure tax credit. The tax credits are extended until Dec. 31, 2013, and are retroactive for all of 2012.
The amended bill, now called the "American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012," contains several extensions outlined in Title IV (Energy Tax Extenders) of the bill. These include:
- Credit for alternative-fuel vehicle refueling property extended to Dec. 31, 2013, and retroactive to infrastructure installed after Dec. 31, 2011.
- Alternative fuels excise tax credits extended to Dec. 31, 2013, and are retroactive for all of 2012.
- Incentives for biodiesel and renewable diesel extended to Dec. 31, 2013.
- Credit for two- or three-wheeled plug-in electric vehicles. In the case of a qualified two- or three-wheeled plug-in electric vehicle, up to 10% of the cost of the qualified two- or three-wheeled plug-in electric vehicle, or $2,500 may be allowed as a credit. Qualifying two- or three-wheel vehicles need a 2.5 kWh pack (down from 4 kWh), are capable of achieving a speed of 45 mph (72 km/h)or greater, and must have been acquired after Dec. 31, 2011, and before Jan. 1, 2014.
- Extension and modification of cellulosic biofuel producer credit. The extension now carries through to qualified production beginning before Jan. 1, 2014. Algae is treated as a qualified feedstock. Additionally, the section strikes the term cellulosic biofuel in favor of "second generation biofuel.”
- Special allowance for cellulosic biofuel plant property extended to Jan. 1, 2014. In addition, algae is treated as a qualified feedstock for such.
Click here for additional information.