Fleet Managers, Drivers Urged to Adapt Safe Reversing
The need for fleet managers and drivers to become more aware of dangers has been emphasized by a new research report from Interactive Driving Systems, which targets reversing safety. The report contains UK crash data but provides some universal tips for backing up safely:
- Walk around the vehicle and look for obstacles or hazards before moving.
- Always beware of pedestrians, but especially children.
- Reverse slowly — turn your head, use your mirrors, and check both sides.
- Avoid reversing over a long distance.
- Look behind before reversing — not as you take off.
- When reversing and turning remember to watch the front of your car as well.
- If towing a trailer, practice reversing with the trailer in a safe location.
- Where possible, reverse into parking spaces rather than out of them.
The research report on reversing fleet safety is aimed at fleet and safety managers, and is available by emailing [email protected].