Telematics Update (www.telematicsupdate.com)
revealed the winners of the fourth annual Telematics Awards this week at Telematics Detroit 2006, the world's largest telematics conference.
The shortlist of the top five companies in each category reflected the state of the telematics industry today—large global companies competing head to head with relatively unknown start ups on an even footing, Telematics Update reports.
Telematics is the blending of computers and wireless telecommunications technologies designed for the collection and dissemination of information.
“People spend a large amount of time in their vehicles and telematics is changing that part of people's lives for the better. As the industry matures the more this technology will filter down from the high end into the mass market and change everyone's driving experience.” says Ven Pedro, event director for Telematics Detroit. “Eventually we won't even need to 'drive' at all. The winning companies have achieved a lot in the past year and are taking strides to make this future a reality.”
The 2006 Telematics Awards winners are:
· Best Aftermarket Device: AutoAlert - AutoAlert ES4
· Best Commercial Vehicle Application: Tele Atlas - Teleatlas/Logistics Map database
· Best Consumer Vehicle Application : BMW of North America - BMW Assist
· Best Company Start-up : Inrix
· Best Newcomer Product or Service Award : Inrix
· Leadership Award : Harry Voccola NAVTEQ
· Best Telematics Navigation Product : Onstar : OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation
· Best Telematics Mobile Phone (Cell) Application or Product : Motorola - Fixed Mobile Car Phones
· Best Technology for Automotive Safety : OnStar
· Best Telematics Solution : Microsoft Automotive
· Best Telematics Embedded Product : Gracenote – MediaVOCSTM
· Best Telematics/Mobile Content Provider Award : Clear Channel - Total Traffic Network
The International Telematics Awards are organized by Telematics Update and are free to enter to any company in the telematics industry. The entries are judged by a selection of independent consultants and industry experts.