Pennsylvania’s Department of Transportation offers the following tips when behind the wheel in snowy, slick winter conditions, WNEP 16 News reports:
- Slow down gradually and drive at a speed that suits the conditions.
- Increase your following distance on the road during whiteouts.
- Come to a complete stop only if you can safely get as far off the road as possible.
- Do not stop in the flow of traffic. Doing so could create a chain- reaction collision.
- Do not pass a vehicle moving slowly or speed up to get away from a vehicle that is following too closely.