The need for fleet managers and drivers to become more aware of dangers has been emphasized by a new research report from Interactive Driving Systems, which targets reversing safety. The report contains UK crash data but provides some universal tips for backing up safely:
- Walk around the vehicle and look for obstacles or hazards before moving.
- Always beware of pedestrians, but especially children.
- Reverse slowly — turn your head, use your mirrors, and check both sides.
- Avoid reversing over a long distance.
- Look behind before reversing — not as you take off.
- When reversing and turning remember to watch the front of your car as well.
- If towing a trailer, practice reversing with the trailer in a safe location.
- Where possible, reverse into parking spaces rather than out of them.
The research report on reversing fleet safety is aimed at fleet and safety managers, and is available by emailing email@example.com.