Four small cars, two midsize cars, two midsize SUVs, one large luxury car, one small pickup, and a midsize convertible are the latest winners of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's TOP SAFETY PICK award.
Winners by vehicle class
- Small cars: 2009 Honda Civic with optional electronic stability control, 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer with optional electronic stability control, 2008-09 Scion xB, and 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit
- Midsize Cars: 2009 Volkswagen Jetta and 2009 Volkswagen Passat
- Large Luxury Car: 2009 Lincoln MKS
- Midsize SUVs: 2009 Ford Flex and 2009 Honda Pilot
- Small Pickup: 2009 Toyota Tacoma
- Midsize Convertible: 2009 Volkswagen Eos
Winners afford superior overall crash protection among the vehicles in their classes. To qualify, a vehicle must earn the highest rating of good in the Institute's front, side and rear tests. It also must be equipped with electronic stability control.