More Ram Pickups Added to Takata Recalls
Photo of Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck by Bull-Doser via Wikimedia Commons.
FCA US announced plans to call back additional Dodge Ram pickup trucks, along with other car and truck models, as part of the Takata air bag inflator recall expansion.
The automaker on May 28 confirmed in a released statement that it is "consolidating two campaigns with new actions affecting model years 2003-2011." As a result, FCA vehicles affected by the Takata Corp. recalls now include an estimated 5.2 million around the globe.
One recall campaign, which involves 4.7 million vehicles worldwide, will replace driver’s-side air bag inflators. This campaign includes:
- 2004-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 pickups
- 2005-2009 Dodge Ram 2500 pickups
- 2006-2009 Dodge Ram 3500 pickups
- 2008-2010 Dodge Ram 4500 and 5500 cab chassis vehicles
- 2008-2009 Sterling 4500 and 5500 cab chassis vehicles
- 2004-2008 Dodge Durango full-size SUVs
- 2005-2010 Chrysler 300, 300C and SRT8 full-size sedans
- 2005-2010 Dodge Charger full-size sedans
- 2005-2010 Dodge Magnum full-size station wagons
- 2005-2011 Dodge Dakota small pickups
- 2006-2011 Mitsubishi Raider small pickups
More than 4 million of these vehicles are in the U.S., FCA US said.
"This action supersedes an ongoing NHTSA-approved recall involving the same vehicles and expands the affected global population by an estimated 1,407,942 with the addition of model years 2008-2011," FCA US said. "Inflators replaced in connection with the previous campaign will again require service."
The second recall campaign involves replacing front-passenger air bag inflators in model-year 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups with an estimated 437,947 in the U.S. This recall supplements two ongoing campaigns involving some of the same vehicles in certain U.S. regions with high absolute humidity.
The automaker said it’s aware of one related injury involving a 2006 Dodge Charger. The accident occurred in southern Florida.
FCA US stressed that the company no longer equips its vehicles with either of these suspect inflators manufactured by Takata Corp. Additionally, the FCA-recalled inflators are distinct from those cited in fatalities involving other automakers.
Vehicle owners can reach FCA US at (800) 853-1403.