GEICO’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has observed a growing trend nationwide regarding the theft of catalytic converters from vehicles.
Thieves are targeting areas where large numbers of vehicles are parked for extended periods of time and left unobservable to traffic, such as: auto dealerships, park-n-ride locations, industrial areas and school, business and mall parking lots.
GEICO recommends these steps to help reduce the chances your car will be targeted:
- If possible, park in busy, well-lit areas. Thieves prefer to work in the dark where passersby may not notice them.
- In park-n-rides or commuter lots, park so your vehicle is observable to passing traffic.
- In malls, shopping centers or business parking lots park as close as you can to main entrances.
- If leaving your vehicle in an industrial type area, ensure the vehicle is secured in a fenced in or guarded area.
Consumers are impacted by this theft in many ways:
- The vehicle is not safely operable until repaired.
- Repair and towing costs, without proper coverage, can cost up to hundreds of dollars.
- Personal time associated with the loss can be significant.